Sunday, October 25, 2009

The awesome thing about knowing how to type is that I can type this now while my eyes are closed. :) It doesn't work out so well when your husband is reading over your shoulder and says "what are you trying to say?", making you open your dry, tired eyes. *punch* That reminds me of when I learned how to type. I actually took a typing class in 7th grade. We were the last year to use type writers, and the half of the clasroom by the door got to use computers. The first time I typed on a computer keyboard I was amazed that I didn't have to press so hard. Or count spaces from the middle in conjunction with the letters of my title. It centered all by itself. The small things we take for granted now. :) (Not to mention, how nice is an 'enter' button compared to the slide handle thingy?)

So as you all know, I underwent my eye surgery wednesday. It was an interesting experience. I think they all thought I was nuts because I thought it was fun to be wheeled in a bed, as well as the wheel chair later in the day. "They" told me that they'd knock me fully out for about 4 minutes while they put in the local anesthesia in my eyes. They wheeled me into the OR, and I had no idea the anesthesiologist had put the general sedation in, because I was staring at a light, and a second later the doctor was tugging on an eyelid. I freaked out and asked if they were going to put the local anesthesia in, and they said they already did. I didn't even remember closing my eyes -- how crazy cool is that? It's slightly strange to feel various tugging on your eyelid, and hearing htings like "hold the skin closer to the lashes", or "pull the muscle a little higher up". ewww. Even crazier, is knowing that your eyelid is sitting there wide open and the doc says "open your eyes and follow my finger," then going back in and snipping some more. It took about an hour, and I was wheeled back into the recovery area to my sweet husband putting some flowers in my hands and a reeses in my mouth. He was very sweet. :) We stayed there for a bit until I was sturdy enough to go home, and here I've been every since. I'm not supposed to bed over, or exert myself too much, no heavy lifting -- pretty much everything the mom of a 2 yr old does. LoL I've listened to a couple things while laying down, but while my head is tired my body wants to get up and move around. It's an annoying quandary. I can't read much, or watch tv, or even sit on the computer long, because my eyes dry out and start to ache. I do enjoy laying with frozen peas on my eyes.

So, why did I do this? A mixture of reasons. Of all my features, my eyes were the one thing I liked the best. When three years ago they didn't look like the eyes I'd always known, it freaked me out a little bit. Then I started getting tons of headaches and eye strain pain. I got scared maybe something was really wrong with me to make it happen. I hoped it'd go away. Finally this year I decided to finally be proactive, and bada-boom bada-bing! Now I can't wait to have my eyes back and be headache-free!


How my eyes used to look :(

Day before surgery (if my eyebrows were at rest, you'd barely see my pupils)

A couple hours after the surgery

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3 (today)

No comments: