We came back and had lunch, I cleaned up the house a little, and played. Here's a few ideas of what Mikayla likes to do to entertain herself.
After playing came nap time. That didn't go over so well. She didn't want to nap, plain and simple. I tried explaining to her the consequences of her decisions and how they might affect her life later in the evening, but she would have none of it. :) I almost cancelled going to the nursing home with my mom to get my dad's things, so Mikayla could nap. I decided against it, and that Mikayla could in fact suffer the consequences of her choices. LoL
It was weird going to the nursing home and seeing the faces we've seen before, but not visiting my dad. In the back of my mind he was still in his room or roaming around on his wheel chair. It was weird getting his shoes and clothes, knowing he'd never wear them again. The only thing of his I wanted was his watch, because I remember him always wearing one. When I was a kid I'd always want to play with it or inspect it. His current watch I think he'd had quite a few years. It was weird to think that he'd been wearing it when he died, because he wore it all the time. It's so weird to think that although the body is just a house for our spirit, you get familiar wiht it being around... I mean, I know my dad isn't gone but the fact he's physically not here strange. He really hadn't been himself since before Ian and I were married, so when I think about it I haven't REALLY talked to my dad for a very long time. It's also strange to me to think of how many people have passed away over the thousands of years mankind has been around. That everybody throughout their lives will have somebody they know pass away. I have no idea why that boggles my mind.
Anyway... so after that we came home and Ian and I went to band. It was fun to be back! It's a good band, and I was SOOOO excited to play Holst's First Suite in Eb. It's one of my absolute favorite songs. We had some other good music for this season too, I'm actually looking forward to this concert. If only we didn't have to wear such ugly uniforms. Maybe it's just because we're two of the 1% of younger people in the band. It doesn't look so bad on the 80 year olds. :) We came back from band and I put Mika to bed, we visited with Nana and Grandad a bit, and now it's about time to hit the hay. Funny how those phrases stick around.
1 comment:
I hear you about thinking about how many people have died throughout all of history - it is quite mind-boggling!
Post a Comment