Sunday, January 25, 2009

Today was a good day overall. We all slept horridly last night and wound up missing church this morning. After watching a spiritually uplifting dvd, we pretty much did absolutely nothing all day. It was great, but definitely would get old fast. We played with Mikayla, watched some history channel documentary things and the Incredibles. We made cookies and utterly broke our diet. Thank goodness I only made a single batch! LoL We finally got dressed and made it to our church class this evening. It's a good class. I don't remember the title of it, but it's about strengthening your marriage. The bishop is in our group in the class which makes it a bit entertaining. Last week the woman teaching it seemed a little nervous that he was there, but luckily seemed a bit calmer about it this week. This weeks topic was about communication and doing so effectively, and I was pleased to see that Ian and I actually execute many of the suggestions in it. There were two things that stood out to me that might be beneficial to us if we had a major disagreement. The first wasn't mentioned but seemed like a good idea, and that's to leave the house to chat if we can. Like, get in the car and drive or go somewhere. I think it's easier to put something behind you if you can do it tangibly in a sense. We don't really have disagreements big enough to merit something like that, but it's good to have in the back of your mind. The other this is keeping the end goal in sight. Ian's always been good at this. While I go through the emotions of whatever is bothering me, he directs us to more of a solution. I never consciously thought of that and plan to in the future. Most of our quarrels occur when one or both of us are sleepy, so we've counteracted them fairly well by recognizing that and knowing when to talk.

Oh! This is random, but Ian's parent's introduced us to a show called 'Burn Notice'. It's about a spy who got burned (fired basically) but it was a set up. He goes about trying to find out what and why, while doing side gigs helping out the common man. It's a clean show, which is refreshing these days. It also has Bruce Campbell in it and he's quite the funny guy. Yeah, anyway.....

Mikayla does so many cute things. I love that she's getting older and I love getting to know her personality more. She's a rather good girl overall, but I also don't have much to compare it to. :) She's gotten bad again (today at least) at throwing the remote on the floor and also started hitting us in the face. We put her in timeout for it, which unfortunately doesn't mean anything to her now. I'm going to have to find another location for timeout that's not a couch. There's a girl at church who's son will go into time out anywhere, and I was hoping to get Mikayla like that, but I guess it should be effective first. On a more positive note, the cutest thing she did today was eat a banana. LoL Ian had a banana out giving her bites. He put it on the counter and ran off to get his coat, and Mikayla decided to grab the banana (in the peel) and eat it herself. She carried it around and did a great job staying clean! (see pictures below) My little baby's growing up! The other cute this is she's still singing the song with the "that your joy may be full" ending. She sung it from her bed a little big ago. She totally looks like a monkey in the second picture.


2 comments:

blondeviolin said...

Our timeout place is just a corner in our entryway. So when we're elsewhere, I tell Abby to go to time out she puts her nose on the wall just about anywhere. There are always walls. :)

The Halls said...

What a great idea! LoL The things that don't even occur to me are limitless. :) I'll try that one when it comes up again. Thanks!